Last week, our senior high pastor came to my door and asked me who inspires me. His reason for asking was because I don’t often mention the names of authors or speakers. I told him that most of my inspirations are people that surround me, who I watch and allow to shape my life. So question to you: who or what inspires you? What are some things and who are some people who push you to be better, work harder and keep you on the right track? Even good people can lose their way when inspiration isn’t there (example – Joash in 2 Chronicles 24…did what God wanted at first, then got corrupted by the wrong voices…), meaning we all need it.
Here are some of my ‘muses’:
- My immediate family – Becca and Ellie remind me that i need to be better. Becca’s understanding and Ellie’s joy for everything in front of her keep me going on the worst days. They are examples of God’s grace and mercy.
- My close friends – From laughter to arguments to their own brand of creativity (you know who you are…), they help me become better by not letting me become worse. They care THAT much but do it in a way that I’d still wanna be their friends. Cheers, guys. (Check out my blog roll for some of their thoughts…)
- My family – I will have illustrations until I’m 90….thanks, guys. They are the epicentre of the Epic Fail Blogs….
- My Pastor and the people I work with – each time I’m with them I am determined to bring my best and not let them down for the sake of the Kingdom
- Good storytellers – Whether through books (Donald Miller, Matthew Paul Turner, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.) TV and Movies (Lost, Mad Men, Gladiator, Tom Hanks, etc.) or song (U2, Coldplay, Sam Cooke, Bob Dylan, etc.), I am forced to re-examine how I share, design and use stories, not to make a point but to help people get from point A to B. And if you know me well, you know that I love a good story.
- Alone time – Some times you just need a break from everything to hear your own thoughts; to press the reset button.
So that’s me. In a nut shell of sorts. What about you? Take time to think about it today. What inspires you? Who inspires you? What role does inspiration play in your daily life?
Something that I just noticed about me – Inspiration mainly comes out of community. What about you?
PS – if you read this and thought, ‘well, he didn’t mention The Bible or Jesus’, then get a clue 😉