Can you believe it? You’re turning TWO! I still remember pulling up to the hospital with your mom and leaving her in the car in a nervous haste (That’s an epic fail blog waiting to be written). 12 hours we waited for you cause you decided to be backwards. Then out you came, skinny, blue-eyed (now a perfect green/brown mix), tiny, beautiful. You and I slept a lot on the couch watching The Score cause you liked to be up late and I love sports scores on reruns. Then you started to grow, bigger and bigger…till right now, on the cusp of two. Here’s what you’ve taught me in 24 short/long months:
- …There is nothing more enjoyable than listening to music with you in the car or anywhere. You love what I love: The Black Keys, Radiohead, Janelle Monae, Brooke Fraser, Arcade Fire, Fred Hammond, Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies” and more! You’re gonna be a musical kid…really cool.
- …Dora is annoying. Yet the other day you said “arriba” to me…so I guess it’s worth watching.
- …You don’t mind playing by yourself. You love people but you love alone time to with your books and toys. You’re a perfect mix of Becca and I.
- …When I ask you where Jesus is, you always say ‘in my heart, da-ddy’. It’s a good reminder for me too, kid.
- …I have to work on my bad habits, like not being messy, because what you see, you will do
- …Sometimes you just gotta play in the snow and I just gotta join you. Same with jumping in puddles.
- …There will be foods that you don’t like. That’d being said, I can’t laugh at the table when you say, “I no like it….” It’s sets a bad example.
- …You’re a leader and not a follower.
- …You’ve taught me to appreciate tractors. I notice them everywhere now and remember where they are so I can tell you. Same with trains and GO Buses.
- …You’ll be able to stand up for yourself. I don’t have to worry AS much as I did.
- …That you can handle day care…I cried on your first day. NO, WAIT…I cried on our visit BEFORE your first day…but you’ve been a champ, kid.
- …Sometimes juice is better than water but you can’t always have what you want.
- …That you’d rather walk than be picked up. From the moment you learned to walk, you wanted to be a big kid. Don’t grow too fast.
- …However, every so often, you want to be picked up and cuddled. I lived for those moments =)
- …Potty training is HARD. You won’t keep still =)
- …You are a SOUND sleeper. You get that from your mom too.
- …You are beautiful and you will be a stunner, as you get older. I have already dug the graves for the boys who will attempt to date you.
- …You love to laugh…and love to sing…and talk alot…just like your old man.
- …There are days where you know something is wrong and you simply say “I love you”. And I know you know what you’re doing.
- …remembering names is important. You remember people and you can see their joy. Little things make a big difference. And trust me, I’ve forgotten names before.
- …Running naked around the house is only cute for you.
- …You’ve taught me to say “I love you” a lot more.
- …Your “NO” is a powerful tool. Mine is too.
- …No one will be able to say, “again”, or “COME…ON” without causing me to laugh. I’ll always hear you saying it =)
Eliana Dorothy, you are my greatest mark on this earth. I know you can’t read this, but everyday you teach me something new. I adore you and think about you all the time. I am a better man of God, husband, father, friend and pastor because I want to make you proud. I’m still full of mistakes but I’m learning and you’re a big part of that! This, and so much more, is what you’ve done in me in two years. Your impact on my life is huge. Thanks for letting me be your dad.
Not that you really had a choice but still…
Love you bubba,